The expressive sculpture of the Running Woman was created by Stanisław Horno-Popławski in 1966. For this, he used a particular material called artificial stone. The headless, slender silhouette of the running figure is captured in a synthetic manner as if frozen with the left leg raised in motion. The figure harmoniously fits into the landscape of Sopot.
Stanisław Horno-Popławski, one of the most important Polish sculptors, was born in 1902 in the Caucasus as a grandson of an exile after the January Uprising. He was educated at the Warsaw School of Fine Arts. His artistic career began in 1926, and in 1932 he became a lecturer and professor at the Faculty of Fine Arts at Stefan Bathory University in Vilnius (now Vilnius University). He moved many times during his life. After spending World War II in an Oflag prisoner-of-war camp, he became a professor at the School of Fine Arts in Białystok. Then he took the chair of sculpture at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń and then moved to Gdańsk. During the reconstruction of the Old Town in Gdańsk, he was the principal designer of the sculptural decoration of the reconstructed townhouses. From 1949–1970, he ran a sculpture studio and was the dean of the Sculpture Department at the State Higher School of Fine Arts in Gdańsk. For years associated with Sopot, with a five-year interim spent in Bydgoszcz. Stanisław Horno-Popławski died in 1997.
Author: Stanisław Horno-Popławski (1902- 1997)
Technique: artificial stone